NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

North to South, Winter to Spring

Just two weeks ago it was still winter in Wisconsin, and most definitely in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.


Duty called and I made my way to Iron Mountain, seeing lots of deer along the way and making note of waterfalls to visit on my next trip.  I would have loved to visit them on this trip, but the roads were not plowed and I wasn't driving a snowmobile so I was out of luck.

Michigan's Dickinson County Courthouse, 1896

Green Bay had its worst winter storm in 130 years just two weeks ago, getting 2 feet of snow and wind gusts up to 50 mph.  I waited until it passed to drive through town on my way to the Upper Peninsula, and it's a good thing because the highway was closed.  The roof of the hotel next door to the one I usually stay at collapsed under the weight of the snow, and guests were stranded in their cars after having to leave the building until plows came to dig them out.

missing its roof!


What's a girl to do when she has to cancel her appointments due to blizzard?  Make thank you cards and watch HBO, of course.


After the storm temperatures began to rise into the forties and fifties. melting the snow and making it bearable at least here in the southern part of the state.  I even talked Wayne into walking around by the marina down in Kenosha; the wind was a bit chilly but it was good to be able to be outside.

old milk truck in Kenosha

Downtown Kenosha near the lakefront has seen a lot of improving over the past decade, if you're in the area stop by and check it out.  I need to take a closer look myself, I know a few new things have popped up since last summer.

Old Eagles Club Ballroom, one of the last venues
Buddy Holly played at on his final fatal tour

The unfortunate part of better weather arriving is that road construction is officially started in Milwaukee again, so plan accordingly if you plan to visit Wisconsin this summer!


1 comment:

  1. Bit unfortunate with the hotel roof falling in like that, hope no one was hurt

    ReplyDelete