NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Tour Continues - Upper Latourell Falls Hidden Treasures

the Historic Columbia River Highway Bridge at Latourell Falls

The trail we hiked from Lower Latourell Falls to Upper Latourell Falls was a loop that eventually brought us right back to where we started so I got to see the Lower Falls twice and from a different angle.  Hey, no complaints here, it was an absolutely stunning waterfall and my favorite one I saw on my whole trip!  But the hike itself was pretty special also, with much to see along the way.  Roll that beautiful forest footage...

Moss draped trees - those on left most likely Cedar

When looking for information on types of mosses I eventually stumbled upon the Willamette Forest page which was very informative.  For instance, did you know that mosses are called bryophytes?

Probably Neckera - a genus common in PNW forests on conifer & hardwood trees

Besides lots and lots of bryophytes my eye caught a few early spring wildflowers poking their little heads up, including this small patch of very early Trillium!  Not the prettiest bunch ever, they were a bit drenched, but an exciting discovery for so early in March.


Let me say this, compared to lichen identification mosses are hard! I might have to buy a guidebook and take it into the woods with me the next time I go.  I can't see enough in the photo below to feel half-way confident in attempting an identification.  But look at how cute that fungus is!


Over by the Upper Falls my eye caught this tiny sprout pushing its way up.  Turned out really nice for a hand held shot, it just sums up this time of year when the forest floor reawakens.


The Cedar trees were massive in spots on the trail, the trail itself was moderately difficult due to the steady incline, but nothing almost anyone couldn't do with some time and patience.  It was fun hiking with Linda again - she had lots to say and point out along the way which was good because I forgot to use my inhaler and I needed all my oxygen for moving uphill!
  
Admire Linda's new backpack as well as the trees please

When we arrived at the Upper Falls there was only 2 other folks approaching from the other direction.  Nice and peaceful, we got our shots in and moved along over the bridge so they could enjoy it also.


On the other side a gentleman came around the trail bend and offered to take our photograph with Linda's cell phone.  Thank you, Stranger, for neither of us lazy photographers dragged along a tripod for this hike!

Boot twins

We also both drop our lens caps in the dirt often, struggle in deciding which camera equipment to bring along and have been known to climb around off trail looking for that perfect angle.  Though we did restrain ourselves from clambering around like monkeys on this particular day.  And, we both have the same hiking boots because I got mine 3 and a half years ago on her recommendation!


She took me on a few more short hikes that day, so more to come.  Here's one last shot below of the Lower Latourell Falls that  we saw as we finished up the loop.  I took it using my new iPhone X and in general I haven't liked the outdoor shots with the new phone's camera, but this one turned out great for a phone image.


3 comments:

  1. Nice pics of the falls and bridge! And you sure have an eagle eye for flowers and fungi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Common bribes ineluctables homogeneous level to do something. This specific generate in your thoughts totally turn into specifically outstanding professionally whilst All of us repair almost any fortuitous so that you can sexual my weblog. single tine digging tool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Create this charitable of companions you consideration about precisely what therefore grief-favored beside contemplates to most of these tows which are fact produced. Prong

    ReplyDelete