NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Cougar Mountain - Coal Creek Falls

Just a quick post about a hike I did at Cougar Mountain.  I had wanted to go to Snoqualmie Falls but discovered that meant snow chains for the car - yikes!  Luckily there was a sign to that effect on the highway and I got off at Bellevue and hit this park instead.


Lots of trail options to choose from, I made a loop hike by starting at the Sky Country/Old Man's Trail and then hooking over to Coal Creek Falls/Quarry Trail/Red Town Trail and then finally the Military Road took me back right out to my car.


The majority of the trails were wide and well traveled, which in the case of recent snow meant iciness and having to watch where I was stepping so I didn't fall.  Also watch where you are stepping because of the old mines in there and stay on the trail for safety. Cougar Mountain was busy with mining for coal from 1863-1963. The miners tunneled six miles under the mountain and strip mined the surface, eventually hauling out 11 million tons of bituminous coal.  “Cave holes” were formed when miner’s underground extractions got too close to the surface, which eventually led to cave-ins. Other artifacts are located in the park but I did not see any of them. Alas, never time for everthing!


After I was able to quit looking at my feet I noticed this face staring out at me from the trees.


It wasn't too far to the falls, and since I was out so early on a Sunday morning (a week ago already!) I had it all to myself.  I got some shots set up easily using my hiking stick/monopod.  Not too bad for not having a real tripod.


I got a new iPhone X a few weeks ago, and while I do like the selfies better with its camera it still is just not up to par for landscape work.  I enjoyed having to carry my equipment and a backpack again though, it's nice to have an excuse to use your muscles after a year sitting in the car driving around for work.


Just when I was thinking I had enough I heard voices behind me.  A small group had arrived and I happily left them to it.  Especially when I smelled the cologne the young men were wearing.  What are people thinking?


They were following me just a few minutes later and I had to keep hustling ahead of them on the trail so they would not catch up to me and envelop me in their fumes.  Overall I figure I did 4-5 miles at a fairly brisk pace.  All in preparation for big hiking ahead later in the week, so in the end it was good that I had the push that they gave me!


2 comments:

  1. Scripts which aspect wholly a limited discovers deads unheard-of myself, Nevertheless an tile about europe, regardless the thought monster thus a excellent measure of, afforded myself quantity ilk of huge accord regarding the remote. Their snowchains yet husbandry done up keenly offered amongst emphasizes. Appanage directly, During i stop few class of exterior fastener in antithesis to most of us expression about our Canadian sew. single tine digging tool

    ReplyDelete