NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Old Fort Boise and the Old State Penitentiary Trails

Besides Hulls Gulch I explored two other parts of the Ridge to Rivers trail system.


The Old Fort Boise section was mostly open land, but I was in shock from all that sunlight so I checked out the Cottonwood trailhead to try to find some shade.


The creek was nice but I did weave in and out of the treed area to enjoy those balsamroot flowers some more.


In the shade I found new blossoms to investigate.



Out at the Old State Penitentiary there is also a trailhead which was quite popular on Monday afternoon.



Most folks took the Table Rock trail upward but I veered off onto the less used State Pen spur which eventually met up with Table Rock trail again.


After going up for about a mile I decided to spare my knees any further abuse.  My doctor just put me on a new anti-inflammatory (meloxicam) for what is most likely arthritis in my knees and hands that is working great, but there is no need to ruin a trip by instigating a flare up!

The cross at the summit is illuminated at night

The Table Rock Loop intersection was a level plateau below the summit and I ventured out onto it for awhile before heading back for the dreaded downhill knee-abusing slog to the parking area.


It was all worth it when I spotted the Lupine growing on the hillside.


Catching a Magpie in flight was a good reward too.



Lichens flourished on the rock outcroppings, making a good backdrop for the vegetation.


Lucky for me you don't need to go all the way to the top to enjoy the climb!


1 comment: