NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I'll Return to Toft Point!

I did go to one other State Natural Area while in Door County.  It was worth the drive to Baileys Harbor to head out to Toft Point which is on Ridges Road and borders the Ridges Sanctuary property.  Remember when Wayne and I went to the Ridges?  Lots of mosquitoes, there is a fee, but worth the visit!


From Ridges Road turn left on Toft Point Road and at the dead end park and walk the mile in to the property that used to belong to Thomas Toft, a Danish immigrant who settled his family here in the 1870's.  Since it's a State Natural Area there is no charge and it's not staffed so wander around at will, but be mindful of sensitive plant areas.


Thomas and his wife raised 7 children here, and after he died his wife started a summer resort business.



Five small log cabins were built in the 20's and 30's and the resort was operated until 1967 by one of the daughters.

Hang on to your hat, not just because of the view!


Stay out of the woods, I ducked in to a brushy area to get my first glimpse of the water and picked up two ticks, my only tick encounter of my time there.  Luckily I saw them and was able to flick them off before they "dug in".  Patience...the water's edge will be easily accessible before you know it.  It was breezy out in the open, so I had to hang on to my hat!

Surprised by the Paintbrush in bloom

Since I lost a hat a few weeks ago I did stop in to Hat Head in Fish Creek to buy another one.  They carry a brand called Flipside that is made from organic cotton and recycled materials.  I think I need to figure out a way to keep it on my head on windy days though, I really don't want to lose this one, it's just too darn cute with the polka dotted brim!


There were little swarms of some kind of gnat on the shore, but no mosquitoes once out of the woods.  Careful on the rocks near the water, where they are wet they can get slimy.

I needed a lounge chair and a pair of shorts, I could've stayed there for hours!

One of the best things about Toft Point was that no one else was there but me.  On my way out I ran across a couple that were coming in and right after we parted I saw the other wildflower that I was looking for on this trip.

See it?  Bottom right, all alone.

That's Coral Root,  it is a myco-heterotrophic orchid: it primarily obtains nutrients not from photosynthesis but through mycorrhizal fungi.  It is widely distributed but hard to find, if that makes any sense.


I guess I'll have to keep looking over the next few weeks to find some blooming!

2 comments:

  1. Wow you know your wildflowers... don't you! Glad you saw those ticks before they dug in, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shoreline looks so much like the shore of the Bruce Peninsula here!

    ReplyDelete