NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

U.S. Nationals Snow Sculpting in Lake Geneva

Remember when I showed you the snow sculptures in Racine and said the winner would be moving on to next year's National Snow Sculpting competition?  Well this year's competition was this past weekend in Lake Geneva and I finally got a chance to scoot over and check them out.


I swear, one of these days I'm going to see these things in some nice light.  And yes, that teenager in the picture above is wearing shorts even though the temperature was only 18F.  I had on jeans and my Columbia jacket with good gloves and walked around as quickly as I could and went right back to my car.  If I remember correctly it was freaking cold when I checked out the sculptures last year too.

Idaho's entry

Wisconsin

The above entry by Wisconsin sculptors won 1st place and the People's Choice award.  I thought the detail on the eyes and other facial features was pretty amazing.

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Illinois

In my opinion the Illinois entry was the most innovative.  That head stuck underground was a pretty neat idea!

Wisconsin

My favorite was another Wisconsin entry.  I would think all the detail in that tree plus all the "thin" areas would make it a more difficult sculpture to complete.  But, what do I know?  I avoid the snow as much as I can after all.  Speaking of snow, 2-4 more inches coming through tonight, and a bigger storm on the way for the weekend.  Last year not enough snow, this year it won't stop.  I hope all you "snowbirds" are enjoying your snow-free days!

7 comments:

  1. Those pictures make me thing...how do they do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wow! Wow!!! I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wishing all that nice snow would dump in our mountains. Our snowpack is 40% of normal.....not good for us skiers, not to mention our summer water supply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are impressive. I admire their talent and skill. Yep, I'd go with Wisconsin. Glad you pointed out the Illinois feature as I missed it. As for me, what would I be wearing? There is not enough clothing to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the New Hampshire one is adorable!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days, somehow, some way, I want to see this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great and unfortunately, I'm sure when I'm typing this, they're gone.

    ReplyDelete